Friday 5 August 2011

The week that was (or wasn't)

Well, another week has gone by and my blogging continues to flounder, drowning as I am in a sticky, muddy bog of work. That's one monkey I can't seem to get off my back, at least for now.

I did try the new Serge Lutens, Vitriol d'Oeillet. Honestly, I don't really know what to make of it. I've only tried it once, but I didn't feel moved, be it positively or negatively. I'd be interested to find out if anyone has tried it and if so, what they think.

I haven't worn a lot of perfume this week, but today I tried my favourite Montale, Oud Cuir d'Arabie. Some of you who've read my blog for a while will probably know that I love it, but jeez, for some reason it did not smell good on me today. I don't know if my sample is turning bad, but it smelled plasticky and slightly synthetic-sweet on my skin, which it never has before.

Perfume has taken a bit of a back seat in my life recently, but for some reason I have turned to music, a lot. In particular Bob Dylan. I'm no stranger to his music, owning most of his albums, bootleg series and basement tapes, but I keep on revisiting his stuff, in particular Another Side of Bob Dylan. Two songs stand out for me, where he really sounds like he is enjoying himself, almost laughing in places.  The two are All I Really Want to Do and I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met). Check them out...

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy!, now you're talking- Bob Dylan is the only subject I spend as much time on as I do perfume : )

    I'm eager to try the new SL. The few reviews I've read have been all over the place. Mostly 'like' or 'neutral', but so far no 'hates' which is encouraging.

    I've also been sampling my way through the Amouage collection. I tried Epic and Lyric Man per your suggestion. Lyric appealed to me most and then I retried Lyric Woman. Wow! That is gorgeous stuff- I can't beleive I dismissed it the first time around. Lesson learned-it really does pay to save samples and give perfumes more than a cursory wearing!

    Good luck with the job and I certainly appreciate your taking the time to post as often as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cymbaline, nice to hear from you. Glad you enjoyed the Lyrics. I feel happy just typing that!

    I tried Vitriol again today and I still feel confused by it. One thing is certain - it doesn't smell like anything else out there, which can only be a good thing.

    Glad you enjoy Bob. Which record/s is your favourite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, I've often played the 'favorite' Bob album or song game and never succeeded! I love most of it and play whatever suits the mood, but to tell you the truth I find myself putting on 'Nashville Skyline' and 'Planet Waves' fairly often lately. I also played 'New Morning' for the first time in a long time the other day and thought I should listen to it more often.
    I'd probably have to choose 'Tangled Up In Blue'as a favorite song. I know, I know, that's such a predictable pick, but it's everyone's favorite 'cause it's such a great song : )

    I hope you occasionally get to see Bob when he plays in the UK-I really enjoy his shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cymbaline, those are good choices. I tend to gravitate to Blood on the Tracks, particularly Shelter from the Storm, Buckets of Rain and You're Gonna Make me Lonesome When you Go. Predictable too, probably, but that album resonates with me like no other.

    I've only seen Dylan once, at the Brixton Academy in London. I would have loved to see him back in 64-66, except I was not even close to being alive yet!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails