Wednesday 17 August 2011

Van Cleef and Arpels Midnight in Paris

Van Cleef and Arpel's Midnight in Paris starts with a fizzing sort of citrus top note, quite heavy on bergamot and a touch of leather. It also has a slight powdery smell about it and ever so sweet, with what I think is vanilla. While not exactly generic, it doesn't smell all that original either.

The rest of the development is relatively bog standard, at least to me. There is a leathery, perhaps more suede smell, which is nice, with a touch of light smoky spice and woods, which smells even slightly rubbery. Yes, you may guess where I'm going with this...

I'd say that Midnight in Paris is great for day wear, for the office, but not particularly original. The combination of vanilla and what I later perceive as a very slightly rubbery/smoky leather is a certain nod to Bulgari Black actually. Is this a bad thing? No, not really, but yet another example of a perfume that is nice, but in my opinion not nice enough to stand out as brilliant and certainly not as cutting edge as Bulgari Black was in its day.

The notes from Luckyscent include lemon, bergamot, rosemary, green tea, lily of the valley, black tea, styrax, wood notes, tonka bean, benzoin, leather accord.

Image credit - http://www.punmiris.com/

4 comments:

  1. I need to try it again: last time when I did leather accord completely escaped my nose and since I didn't know it was supposed to be there I wasn't questioning it's absence. Now I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Undina, if you're looking for a distinct leather fragrance, this one is not going to tick that box. At least I don't think so. The leather is more of a suede accord and very well behaved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, I have all the leather I need for now. I'm just curious to revisit this one to see if I can smell that note now when I know it's supposed to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, let me know when you do, and if you can!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails