Thursday 18 August 2011

Old favourites revisited

Cymbaline commented on one of my recent posts, where I mused over whether I was becoming jaded and cynical in my perception of what is or isn't original. She mentioned that she keeps on returning to old favourites.

Well, following that, I've returned to a few old favourites too, and what a pleasant experience it has been. Today I wore Andy Tauer's Incense Extreme and Les Nez Let Me Play The Lion. What struck me most about both of these perfumes is how unique and original they are, at least to me. Incense Extreme is mostly about incense, but somehow despite its apparent simplicity it never fails to wow me. What longevity it has too. I sprayed it on at 8 this morning and after a shower at 8pm I could still detect it. Well, Andy Tauer is renowned for this, isn't he?

LMPTL is a curious fragrance, but very lovely all the same. I'm sure the name (which I understand comes from a line out of Shakespeare - is it Hamlet?) has subconsciously evoked the smell of African bush and lions for me, which is just fanciful. Having said that, I grew up in Africa and have spent time in the bush and have been in proximity to lions, so I know what this smells like and LMPTL does smell a bit like that, honestly! Again, I haven't smelled anything quite like it.

Then this evening I am wearing one of my Serge Lutens loves, Borneo 1834. Well, there's patchouli and then there's patchouli and Uncle Serge's is one of the best, in my opinion. Perfect for a relaxing evening that is unseasonably cool for late summer, even by English standards.

This really brings me back to a point I made a few days ago. I'm increasingly struggling to find perfumes that stand out for me and smell truly original. The ones I've mentioned here fit that bill. In spades....

2 comments:

  1. I was just about to post that nothing perfume-wise is exciting for me..recently it's all 'meh' or 'it's okay'. Maybe it's the heat and humidity. I don't know, but I'm glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frida, glad I'm not alone too, but here in England heat and humidity are not a big factor at all, so I can't even blame it on that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails