Friday 30 April 2010

Ineke - Field Notes from Paris

Image credit: Deviantart.net Springtime in Paris by Isismas


Fragrance notes: Bergamot, Orange Blossom, Coriander Seed, Tobacco Flower and leaf, Patchouli, Cedar, Tonka, Leather, Beeswax, Vanilla.

I'd read a number of favourable reviews of Field Notes from Paris; many noted the prominent orange blossom note, and others described it as an urbane, cosmopolitan fragrance. I approached this with no heavily preconceived ideas. I first tried it on a paper scent strip at Liberty in London and it haunted me for several weeks before I finally got a sample from First in Fragrance in Germany. On first application this opened quite sharp, aldehydic even, with a twist of orange. The orange blossom dominates the first phase, and its quite a floral, heady accord. I get spices and herbs and a slightly flowery note that could well be the tobacco flower and coriander doing a tango. Into the heart the fragrance sweetens and I get the tobacco and a bit of patchouli coming to the fore. I find it quite hard to describe the tobacco note - its definitely not a pipe tobacco, but doesn't really seem like a cigarette either. The orange blossom stays fairly prominent throughout and for me, the fragrance stays relatively linear from here on into the dry down. It might just be my untrained nose, but I never really detect the beeswax or the cedar. The dominant notes are tobacco and orange blossom, but I don't find this a warm, comforting scent. The quality seems very good and its well constructed, but it almost seems too cerebral for me, like its trying to make some sort of intellectual statement, but its not on my wavelength. In the end, this fragrance just isn't me and I could never see myself purchasing a full bottle. However, this is just my opinion and I am sure that it could work wonderfully for others. I shall try this again in the summer, when perhaps the heat will bring out different facets and who knows, perhaps I will warm to it.

The picture I used above is Springtime in Paris, incidentally not so much because this fragrance evokes spring in Paris for me, but rather just because it is springtime in Paris right now and I wouldn't mind being there! I can see Field Notes from Paris having a lot of fans. It is unisex, but (perhaps somewhat presumptuous of me) I can see this being more popular with the ladies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails