Monday 24 January 2011

Hugo Boss Orange

When I was a lot younger, I used to wear quite a few of the Hugo Boss fragrances. In fact, back in the day I thought Hugo Boss was the most hip thing in perfume, such was my lack of exposure. I still own a Hugo Boss fragrance today, in the Baldessarini line, called Del Mar. 

Boss Orange for Men is a new release, which I smelled today for the first time. However, it didn't feel as if it was the first time, because in my hackneyed view, if you've smelled one Hugo Boss, you've smelled them all. Boss Orange smells like Baldessarini Del Mar, with some added orange. At the risk of sounding disillusioned, most Hugo Boss fragrances smell watery and marine-like, with hefty doses of massively synthetic amber and ambergris. Look, I'll be honest, Boss Orange smells ok. It is inoffensive, with mass market appeal, exactly what a lot of mainstream fragrances want. I bet it will sell like hot cakes. But I need more from a perfume, and Hugo Boss doesn't do it for me anymore.

I note that Orlando Bloom is the face of the new Boss Orange, stating: "Boss Orange is a brand I immediately identified with because it has a laid back, spontaneous quality I relate to". Well, in fairness, Boss Orange is laid back, but spontaneous? I don't think so. To my mind laid back and spontaneous are slightly incongruous anyway. To my mind Boss Orange is safe, safe, safe. Or to put it another way, guaranteed to sell, sell, sell, and in the process, ensure the financial safety of Hugo Boss.

Image credit - http://finercut.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails