Saturday 19 January 2013

Saturday SOTD - Parfums MDCI Enlevement au Serail

I've had a sample of Enlevement au Serail hanging about in my samples box for easily a couple of years now. I've worn it occasionally, but I must admit that it veers close enough to being too feminine for me to wear comfortably at work. Today seemed like a perfect opportunity to wear it. 

I haven't sampled extensively from the MDCI range (and at those prices, full bottles are unlikely, at least for me!) but I've mostly enjoyed the ones I've tried, which in addition to this one include Chypre Palatin, Invasion Barbare (amazing) and Ambre Topkapi (very so-so in my books). 

I'm not going to go into much detail here, but Enlevement au Serail reminds me of some of the Amouage perfumes from a few years ago, in particular Jubilation 25. Jubilation has more incense and ends up more chypre and quite dry, but to my nose they have a lot in common, particularly in spirit. Looking at the notes, I recognise some common accords shared with Amouage in many of their earlier fragrances, including the use of plenty of jasmine and rose, and that base of vetiver, sandalwood and patchouli. Like with Amouage, MDCI seem able to balance the florals with a much woodier and spicy base, which makes for a very even-keeled perfume, that feels even slightly retro and classic in feel.

I'm not going to say much more, other than to state that Enlevement au Serail is a very good perfume indeed, well worth seeking out a sample of. A full bottle, at around $250 for 60ml, is quite expensive, to say the least. This perfume was created by Francis Kurkdjian, and his quality and eye (or nose, I suppose) for good ingredients and class shine through.

2 comments:

  1. This is a recent love of mine, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the price tag. I enjoyed reading your take!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie it is lovely but as you point out, a very high price. Perhaps a decant/split is the best way to go.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails