Friday 11 January 2013

What I'm listening to, reading and watching

Where would I be without music? It's strange how it works, but the path I'm following at present seems to be fueled mainly by biographies and autobiographies I've been reading about various musicians. Is there a common thread that binds everyone together? I'm not really sure, but a lot of it comes out of the New York scene from the sixties and seventies. I've loved Bob Dylan for years and am familiar with his rise through the folk ranks whilst living in Greenwich Village. From Dylan I've sort of linked to Patti Smith, who wrote in detail in her book Just Kids of her early Greenwich Village life with Robert Mapplethorpe, living at the Chelsea Hotel. The Chelsea Hotel seems to be a fertile location for latching onto other musicians and artists. Then there's Leonard Cohen. I read the biography A Remarkable Life and his fleeting obsession with chanteuse Nico. From there its a short skip to The Velvet Underground and their seminal first album with Nico. Intertwined in this whole scene is Andy Warhol and his Factory, then further back in time, the Beat poets, Allen Ginsberg in particular.

I realise this post is rambling and slightly incoherent, but it sums up how random and 'shotgun' my journey into the past is becoming.

As for film, what is it with New York, but I've been going through Woody Allen's back catalogue of classics, such as Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters and what about the bizarre Everything You Wanted to Know about Sex? That is one strange movie, with its slightly Blackadder feel in parts!

As for more regular fiction, I'm still working my way through Game Of Thrones. I'm on book 5 out of 7, but frankly, as much as I'm enjoying it, it is slow going considering each book is roughly between 800 and 1000 pages in length...

6 comments:

  1. Michael, I think it's great that you have different - and random - interests. That's what makes life interesting, right? At the moment, I am totally obsessed with perfume, more even than usual. I spend time spraying them on paper scent strips, comparing them to others that are similar and testing them on my skin. Then I combine two scents together and make notes about their compatability. Ultimately, it's my husband that makes me feel okay about this, saying things like, 'I'm really glad that you find such enjoyment in perfume.' He's much more sane than I. Enjoy your interests and observations, whatever they may be at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josephine, thanks for the kind comments. Two of my biggest comforts and loves in life are music and books. Perfume has become another, so I can totally appreciate what you're doing at the moment!

      Delete
  2. Nope, I don't see your journey as "random and 'shotgun'" at all. It may seem random, but IMO the links you're following are a natural path of discovery through amazing artists with steller creations and I hope they'll always find an appreciative audience!

    (I know, I know, it sounds like I'm writing for a PBS special! : D I mean every word though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cym, amazing artists indeed, and in fact you've helped me discover some great artists too, so thanks for that!

      Delete
  3. Just discovered that aside from us both liking Sonoma Scent studio you are also a fan of Alexander McCall Smith! I am slowly working my way through all of his series (currently on Portugese Irregular Verbs)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brie I do like Alexander McCall Smith indeed. My favourite series is probably the 44 Scotland Street ones! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails