Saturday 29 December 2012

Shopping centre hell and Miller Harris La Fumee

I should point out firstly that shopping centre hell and Miller Harris do not automatically go hand in hand, were you unable to arrive at that conclusion yourself!

After days of rain, grey cloud and the sort of dullness that makes the day go dark at 2 in the afternoon, we had to get out of the house. Perhaps I am just unimaginative, but England seems to be one of those places where there is very little to do on a sad winter afternoon, other than visit a shopping centre. So it was that we jumped in our car and headed to Bluewater, a large shopping centre not far from the dreary drabness of Dartford, south east of London. 

I'm not sure what possessed us to do this (desperation actually) but the place was heaving with the masses, no doubt seeking the so-called post Christmas bargains. I'm not going to bore you with the details of four hours spent in suburban hell, save to say that I managed to escape for twenty minutes to John Lewis, where I saw a bottle of Miller Harris La Fumee. La Fumee is a masculine incense perfume. Now, I have to state upfront that La Fumee was underwhelming on my skin. However, it should also be said that I am still recovering from a bad cold, so my sense of smell is not what it should be. My wife said it smelt very good, so I have to take her word on this, until I manage to sniff it again. Today, it smelt like a light incense to me. Nice enough, but no wow factor for me. We shall see.

As for Bluewater, I'm in no rush to return. At least, not for another month, until the sale madness has subsided.

6 comments:

  1. You MUST have been desperate! My SO and his friends call malls "Mordor" after the place you DON'T want to be in Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. They also swear there was a study done that proves the "special" concrete floors in malls causes men's legs to weaken so that they must leave the premises immediately. (I'm surrounded by an imaginative bunch, hehe)

    I was hoping La Fumee was going to be REALLY interesting - not underwhelming! Definitely try it again when your nose is more reliable :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cym, Mordor is not a bad analogy! As for the tired legs, there must be some truth to the conspiracy ;-)

      I'll leave it up to you to find a sample of La Fumee and see what you think! I wouldn't want to put you off.

      Delete
  2. Well first off, I'm so happy that you're feeling better, and that you got all those cool toys for the holidays!

    Mall shopping - egads!!

    I haven't tried La Fumee yet, but I really enjoyed La Pluie!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thanks for the wishes and same to you! I saw a bottle of La Pluie at the same counter, but didn't try it. Is it as tropical as the description on the box suggests?

      Delete
    2. I don't get 'tropical' at all - it's a weird frag, but very cool - bergamot, and the lavender and indole/jasmine thing happening lightly, tempered by I think vanilla and some vetiver. I would love to know what you think of it if you happen upon it again.

      Delete
    3. Carol, I'll definitely try it next time I see a bottle.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails