Wednesday 12 December 2012

Scent of the day - Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

I've read that this perfume is going to be discontinued (or is it merely going to be withdrawn back to the other side of the Channel, confined to the Good Uncle's Salon?) which if true, is a shame, because it is a lovely one. Gingembre (I can't be bothered to type it out in full again) is possibly the easiest Lutens to wear. It smells nice, fairly simple and just plain cozy. 

The notes, per Luckyscent, include bergamot, candied ginger, honey, patchouli, pepper and dark cocoa. Luckyscent describe it (presumably from Lutens ad-speak) as inspired by the afternoon tea ritual, leaving the Orient and taking us on a journey to England. I must be confused then, because to me Gingembre smells like a mild oriental take on ginger, albeit the mellow candied stem ginger, rather than the raw/tangy/spicy kick of fresh root. The patchouli and pepper add a lovely light spicy dryness to the fragrance, which goes very well with the ginger, but to me it doesn't smell like English tea. The cocoa note is not that dominant to me, but perhaps that is what also lends the dry feel to the base.

All in all, Gingembre is an easygoing, but very well done perfume and I like it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails