Tuesday 14 February 2012

Perfume literature

Yesterday I finally managed to get my hands on a copy of Michael Edwards' "Perfume Legends: French Feminine Fragrances" from the library. I had to reserve it, as it was out on loan for months, somewhere in deepest darkest north Kent, of all places.

I know I could have easily bought it from Amazon, but I am one of those people who still loves libraries and there are few thrills greater to me than paging through a well-read book that scores of people have appreciated (or not) before me. It saddens me sometimes that so many people are moving to Kindles, etc. I have nothing against them and can see the benefits, but to me there is nothing nicer than the feel, smell and evocation of a real, tangible book!

Anyway, I haven't managed to read much of this book yet, but it is thrilling to leaf through it briefly, seeing so many classic perfumes covered. Even better is that even some drugstore perfumes are in there, highlighting the fact that classic and great does not have to always be expensive and desirable. There are some lovely quotes in here as well from such perfume legends as Edmond Roudnitska. Fantastic.

Have any of you read this wonderful perfume book and what are your thoughts on it?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Michael, for prompting my failing memory: I've reserved a number of perfume-related books just now but not, sadly, the Michael Edwards one (not on our library list).

    This will keep me out of mischief for a while:-)

    cheerio, Anna in Edinburgh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, glad you're getting into that perfume reading! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails