Saturday 19 February 2011

Peanuts!

Everyone loves peanuts, right? Well, perhaps not everyone. For example, those with a peanut allergy might disagree. For me, peanuts are so-so. I actually prefer a lot of other nuts (peanuts are not even nuts are they, rather legumes?). In any event, I prefer peanuts in some forms to others. I am not mad-crazy about peanut butter (chunky or smooth) but I do like a roasted and salted peanut. Raw peanuts are not my favourite - if they're slightly old they get very bitter and leave a dryness on my tongue.  I'm not even a huge fan of peanuts in cooking, such as satay sauce. I'm sure many others would disagree, which is cool. 

What I have fallen in love with recently though are peanut butter cookies. My wife bought a book called The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook a few months ago (I can highly recommend it) and included in there is this cookie recipe. I'm obviously not going to list the recipe here, but it is a lovely cookie that includes peanut butter, a little chocolate, and many of the usual biscuit ingredients. They are simple to make but taste absolutely delicious! They are very well balanced, being neither too sweet nor too bland, and the peanut butter, while clearly the star ingredient, never overpowers.

While I was eating a couple of these with a coffee earlier, I started thinking about perfume and whether peanuts or peanut butter ever feature in perfumes, and if they do, what they would smell like. I can't think of any perfumes that do mention peanuts as an accord, but if you can think of one, please let me know. I'd love to try it! In theory, with my limited knowledge, I can't think why it wouldn't make a good perfume note. After all, peanuts feature in both sweet and savoury cooking, they can be rich and oily and the taste can range from sweet-nutty to green-salty. Who knows?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails