Thursday 15 March 2012

Lorenzo Villoresi Patchouli

Some of you who might have followed my blog for a couple of years could be aware that I am quite a patchouli fan. I am often on the lookout for patch fragrances and have encountered a number that I love, including, to name but a few, Lutens Borneo 1834, Histoires de Parfum Noir Patchouli, Intrigant Patchouli by Parfumerie Generale and Mazzolari Lui. 

I don't know why, but for some reason I wasn't expecting Villoresi Patchouli to be so patch-focused. I expected something that nodded to patchouli, but perhaps in an obscure or watered-down way. As it turns out, patchouli is to the fore from the very start and never says goodbye. Like a lot of patch-heavy perfumes, there is a lot of camphor to start with, which gradually unfolds into an earthy, classic patchouli accord. While all this is great, the dry down is, in my opinion, amazing. There is a lot of wood in here, including cedar and sandalwood, and its the sandalwood, I think, that turns the dry down into a plush, polished finish that is lent further interest by just a hint of vetiver.

While I haven't tried a lot of perfumes by Villoresi, those I have tried (Piper Nigrum, Uomo and Musk) all have a certain sophistication (or quirkiness, some might venture) and Patchouli manages to achieve a similar result. It starts quite raw and growly, but ends up classy and just different enough from the other patch perfumes out there that I definitely think it is worth searching out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails