Wednesday 15 August 2012

Parfums MDCI Chypre Palatin

As usual, I am fairly late to the game, so possibly I am one of the last to try Parfums MDCI's Chypre Palatin. I am probably not one, unsophisticated philistine that I am, to appreciate or to discern the subtle differences between the myriad chypres on the market, whether they contain real oakmoss or not. Whatever, I have to say that I struggled to identify Chypre Palatin as a chypre. With notes of green clementine, hyacinth, lavender, rose, iris, jasmine, benzoin, styrax, vanilla, castoreum, costus and leather accord, I couldn't quite see the connection, and from the notes this has a far more oriental look about it.

Not long into spraying on Chypre Palatin, I immediately made a connection with Pure Distance M. I'm not saying they are dead ringers, but they share a lot more than a passing resemblance, in my opinion. Having looked up the above notes, I had a look on the Pure Distance website, where M is described as a leather chypre with an oriental twist. Bingo! The notes for M are bergamot, lemon, rose, jasmine, cinnamon, patchouli, moss, cistus, vetiver, vanilla, leather and musk.

Interestingly, the notes the above share in common are rose, jasmine, costus, vanilla and leather. There may be more in common, but one cannot definitely rely on website note lists. My thinking is that forceful notes like leather and costus are able to bring forth the similarities to my nose.

As some of you may recall, I loved M and wrote about it a number of times. So what about Chypre Palatin? I think if I had never smelled M, I would have been blown away by Chypre Palatin. However smelling it today for the first time (in fairness, repeated wearing may reveal other facets and differences not immediately apparent) I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed that it reminded me so much of M. That may seem illogical, but there you have it.

Having said that, one thing I do like about Chypre Palatin is it is not as strong and forceful as M, being a bit more restrained. As much as I like M, it can be a bit too much at times, a real powerhouse. Chypre Palatin is no wilting flower, mind you.

So, don't get me wrong. My initial impression of Chypre Palatin is positive, and it is a lovely perfume, but I wish it had not reminded me so much of M, but nevertheless, still recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails