Wednesday 18 April 2012

Scent of the day - Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Iris Bleu Gris

This iris offering for men from MPG is interesting, yet I think I need to wear it a few more times to form a proper opinion. The hefty iris accord is masked somewhat by florals (jasmine), citrus, musk and a herbal/vegetal accord that could come from vetiver and oakmoss.

To my nose Iris Bleu Gris does translate as a bit on the powdery side. I have it from a good source that the reason iris and violet can smell powdery in perfume is because perfumers often reconstitute the roots from a powdered form. In any event, the powderiness is not off-putting to me, but I do tend to prefer iris in a rootier, woody form. I have read some reviews that complain of the soapiness of Iris Bleu Gris. I get what they're saying - if I catch a whiff of the perfume, it does smell a bit soapy, but when I sniff really close up, I realise it is actually the iris accord and it doesn't smell soapy so much as astringent and powdery. I don't know.

The dry down shares a few similarities with a couple of other masculines in the line, in my opinion, in particular Eau Des Iles and Parfum d'habit, in the sense that one realises they share the same pedigree.

I will say that Iris Bleu Gris is complex and interesting. I'm not convinced I'm sold on it yet, but it holds enough intrigue that I will return to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails