Saturday 28 April 2012

Scent of the Day - ELDO Antihero

I am seldom left without an opinion (or a strong one) when it comes to ELDO's perfumes. There are some I like and some that, quite frankly, I don't.

Trying Antihero today, I should state from the outset that a lavender-dominant perfume has to have something different to attract me - if I want the true smell of lavender, unadulterated, I would prefer during the summer to stand next to my path lined with lavender bushes in full bloom.

Two lavender perfumes that I do really enjoy both are by the same house, Serge Lutens, namely Gris Clair and Encens et Lavande. I also quite enjoy Caron's Pour Un Homme and Jicky.

Anyway, Antihero smells very lavender-y straight from the vial. The opening is also very much dominated by lavender, to the point that the perfume smells nose-searingly of the essential oil. After that, it smells a bit synthetic. I gave the perfume time to settle down, then when I smelled it again, I was struck by a smell that quite frankly smells like halitosis. I kid you not, and it is the first time I have smelled such an accord in a perfume; not a welcome one, mind you. I thought this would be a deal-breaker, unsurprisingly, yet this bad breath phase only lasts a few minutes, following which Antihero softens to a musk-and-lavender base that is not a million miles removed from Pour Un Homme actually, without ever smelling exactly like it.

I have to say that Antihero is a strange fragrance. I need to try it a few more times to see if that bad breath note comes back...

4 comments:

  1. beware the house of ELDO! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. What do you think of ELDO generally, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was ruined by Secretions. Now whenever I sniff any ELDO, their signature scent-base pushes me into the memory of Secreations. Sigh. I loved Putain for personal reasons, but even that I cannot sniff anymore. Le sigh.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean. Secretions is not a good introduction to the house!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails