Monday 16 April 2012

Scent of the day - En Voyage Perfumes Go Ask Alice

A sample of Go Ask Alice came to me recently courtesy of my kind friend Cymbaline, whom I met last week in London (post to follow in due course).

I can't say I know a lot about En Voyage Perfumes and Shelley Waddington, the creator behind the perfume. I vaguely remember following the Summer of Love patchouli project last year, but having not encountered any of the perfumes, I didn't pay much attention to it after that. However, now that I've tried Go Ask Alice, I am sure to pay more attention.

Having only worn Go Ask Alice once, I can't provide a lot of detail or opinion at this stage, suffice to state that the way patchouli is presented here is highly unusual and original, in my opinion. Upon first application, Go Ask Alice reminded me strongly of something I've smelled before, but not a perfume. It opens with an accord that I think smells a lot like an orange soft drink I recall from my childhood, but I can't quite pin it down. It's not really orangeade, but sort of like it. The patchouli is not that obvious to my nose until much later, but when it does appear, it isn't in the usual stereotypical accord of cocoa and mothballs. And that is where it becomes difficult for me to state much more, particularly on a first go - the use of patchouli is so unique that I need to think about it some more and also test some more, so watch this space for a later update!

What I will say though, is that Go Ask Alice is a very original and enjoyable perfume, with enough development and complexity to make me want to try it again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails