Friday 12 November 2010

Perfume and nausea

Not a subject most people would want to be touching on at the start of a weekend, but I've been suffering this week from a bout of what is sort of a cold, but seems to have flu systems as well. Aches, pains, shivers, loss of appetite, and... nausea and queasiness. If this isn't bad enough, I also find that I can't stomach wearing perfume of any sort. Even my staunch favourites have left me gagging upon application. It's not just perfume. At the moment I find that all sorts of smells are setting me off, from the smell of frying sausages, to steaming soup, to soap. It's very frustrating, particularly when you're like me and a day can hardly pass without wearing a fragrance of some sort. Anyway, I'm now purposefully avoiding any perfume, but particularly steering away from my favourites. I couldn't bear to be permanently turned off. Hopefully I'll be back to normal next week, particularly as I've got some new samples to try, including Penhaligons Sartorial and two of the new Lubins, Itasca and Inedite.

Have a good weekend, all and sundry.

6 comments:

  1. Michael, I'm sorry to hear this! You're wise to stay away from perfume right now because once you associate a scent with wanting to vomit (sorry to be so graphic), you're screwed.

    Sending my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon!
    I can imagine how awful it must be getting queasy just by smelling your favourite stuff - those things shouldn't ever happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Josephine and Ines. Yes, as you say, without putting too fine a point on it, negative associations can be a real deal breaker! I had a similar bug last year, and to this day I still can't smell L'Artisan's Havana Vanille without gagging, and it's almost certainly down to the fact I was wearing it the day I fell ill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're feeling better. I've had a few bugs this year thanks to my lovely children.

    Funny about nausea and memory. Reminds me of morning sickness. I couldn't smell leather, including imperial leather for years. In fact today I've enjoyed the smell of leather (in the form of Cuir de Lancome) for the first time in about seven years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks MPL. Yes, the joys of children. I think ours have passed on a fair few to us too recently! I am feeling mostly better and not as sensitive to smells as I was a few days ago, thankfully. I remember the smells of coffee and beer in particular, and cigarette smoke, set my wife off when she was pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're feeling better now, Michael, and I'd absolutely echo Josephine's comment. Negative scent associations can be 'broken', but life's much easier if they're not even created in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails