Sunday 22 August 2010

Weekend musings


Just a quick post today. It's been a bit of a crummy weekend in England, weather-wise. It's been humid, dank and overcast and now turned rainy, so not the late summer I was hoping for. Perfume-wise, I've been spending a bit of time with Tom Ford Extreme. You may recall that I won samples of the mainstream TF fragrances a few months ago. I haven't really tried any of these for some time but for some reason felt like doing so this weekend. Extreme is actually a very good masculine fragrance. Compared to the original Tom Ford for Men, it is head and shoulders above. I particularly like its opening and then its dry down. The heart is so-so, being the most generic phase, in my opinion. There's something quite dressy about TF's perfumes, I believe. Extreme for some reason makes me want to don a dress suit and attend a gala event! It has that slightly formal, slightly powerhouse feel, without actually being too assertive. I know that doesn't really say much about the fragrance itself, but I like it.

I also have samples of the Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire. I know these have received quite a lot of love by some bloggers, but they haven't done too much for me. I've spent the most time with Bois d'Iris and Cologne Noir. The iris is a decent, if slightly unforgettable fragrance, while Cologne Noir, created by Mark Buxton, frustrates the hell out of me. I don't know if I am anosmic to the ingredients, but it is such a slight, hard-to-detect cologne. I know colognes aren't meant to be too strong or long-lasting, but this one takes this concept to a new level. And it actually does smell nice, if you can detect it. I keep on getting tantalising little wafts of pepper and woods, but I wish Buxton had just amped it up a bit. Transparent and sheer don't have to equate to fleeting and undetectable - just take JC Elena's work for example. I hope this isn't indicative of Buxton's body of work (I don't think it is) because I am in the process of ordering some  samples from Buxton's eponymous line.

Image credit - cache.kotaku.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails