Sunday 26 February 2012

YSL M7 and Jazz reincarnated

This is probably old news for many of you but this week I was having a look at what is on offer at Boots, the chemist, which stocks a fairly decent range of mainstream perfumes and was surprised to see the new bottles of M7 and Jazz. M7 is now called M7 Oud Absolu and the bottles have changed dramatically, to look like something partly inspired by the Lalique Encre Noir bottle (subjective, I know - maybe it is the lid?). Picture below:



The repackaged and reissued perfumes now form part of what YSL calls its Heritage Collection. Considering that M7 was only released around 2002, it seems a bit rich to discontinue it and then release it less than a decade later as a heritage perfume, or am I just being a little bit cynical? Perhaps I am.

In any event, M7 was a bit ahead of its time at the start of the 21st century. Oud as a note in mainstream perfumery was fairly unknown, if at all and as far as I can tell, despite the raunchy ads, it never sold well. Personally I always had a soft spot for M7 and thought it was a great mainstream perfume, so am glad it has been released again.

I'm not sure if the juice has changed. To me it still smells just like the old juice, but having said that, when I last tried M7 in the old bottle, it seemed a little toned down to me. Of course, to be fair, by that stage I had smelled so many oud releases that perhaps what seemed like daring in 2002 had become slightly passe by 2011.

The old bottle is below:




As for Jazz, I am not really familiar with it in any incarnation, but it smells like a fairly dated 1970s or 1980s fougere. It smells decent, but not really what I want to wear.

Image credits:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails