Wednesday 10 October 2012

Joop Homme revisited

Some of you may recall that I wrote about Joop Homme Wild just a few days ago. I described how sweet and forceful I found it, and also mentioned the original Joop Homme. Following that post I was curious to try Joop Homme again, to see how how it compared to what I remember it being like. I sprayed Joop Homme on one wrist and Joop Homme Wild on the other. The interesting thing is that side by side it is even more apparent how fruity, sweet and strong Homme Wild really is. I thought the original was strong and sweet, but by comparison it is actually much dryer and more complex. I was very interested to see that Joop Homme was created by Michel Almairac, a very talented perfumer who also created L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses, Bottega Veneta and the updated Ivoire, and has worked in tandem with Dominique Ropion. The notes include bergamot, cinnamon, orange blossom, jasmine, honeysuckle. sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, amber, tonka, musk and vanilla. 

Released in 1989, Joop Homme has a bit of a retro feel now, but not in a bad way. Despite the notes, it is not floral to my nose, but it could be that the heavy bass notes conceal the floral heart. To my nose it smells like tobacco, yet the accord is not listed - perhaps it is the combination of the patchouli, amber, musk and vanilla that create this impression.

Joop Homme is strong, and lasts all day, but I have to admit that I quite like it. Joop Homme Wild on the other hand, is a strong, sticky mess of sweet and fruity notes that overpower and make me feel quite sick until the base is reached, when it becomes a lot better. What is it with fruity notes these days?

2 comments:

  1. Michael, I love Joop Homme (won this as part of a perfume basket at an auction) and it smells divine on my husband. The top notes are rather shocking in their strength and sweetness, but the drydown is elegant and woody and sexy as anything. I could wear it myself, but feel it has more edge and appeal on a man. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Josephine. I think it is rather good too, but very powerful. Apply moderately I would say!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails