Thursday 29 November 2012

Parfum d'Empire Wazamba

It never ceases to amaze me how perceptions of perfume can change over time. Take Wazamba for instance. When I first sampled it probably more than a couple of years ago now, I didn't care for it at all. I found it overpowering, smelling too much of pine, no doubt from the fir and cypress, and also strangely sweet. I think some of it was to do with the fact that I wore it in summer, when the warmth perhaps made it a bit cloying.

Today I picked out my sample of Wazamba and decided to give it another go. This time, it was totally different on my skin. Yes, the conifer notes were still there, but the incense was far more to the fore, smoky and swirling, mingling beautifully with the pine notes, sweetened just a touch by I don't know what - perhaps the labdanum and opoponax. Today was a really cold day here and I think the weather was a big factor in making Wazamba seem comforting, yet slightly mysterious. I can see myself wearing this a lot more over the coming weeks, as we head into winter proper and it would be perfect as a Christmas season fragrance, I think.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know its one of your favourites Carol. I have to admit that I am not really familiar with Opoponax as a single note, so not really sure how it influences this fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you , I've given Wazamba a couple of tries. Unfortunately it's still a no-go for me :( I know they don't smell alike, but in my head,and stomach, Wazamba and Ambre Narguile are twins that, for me, are unwearable. Wonder if there's a common note? Anyway, I've given up trying! Glad you had success with Wazamba :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cym, I don't know why Wazamba has changed for me, but that is what I love about perfume, and when it becomes almost alchemical for me, when it trascends mere ingredients and formulaes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails