Tuesday 10 December 2013

Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

Some of my more regular readers may have noticed my absence over the last couple of weeks, and generally, a much-reduced blog output this year.

I can't really pin down what has contributed to this, other than the simple fact that life is busy, and perfume blogging tends to take a back seat in an environment of work pressures, a busy family life, and who knows what else. 

I've noticed a few bloggers who have called it quits this year, or hopefully just a hiatus - who knows? I don't think I've reached that stage, don't worry, but I've got to the point where I only want to blog when I have something that I really want to say, or put across, or failing that, the desire to simply say something, as the urge takes hold of me. Not ideal, perhaps, but better that than simply churning out content for the sake of keeping up with the Joneses.

Today would have been my mother's 74th birthday; she passed away almost nine years ago. It's kind of strange trying to imagine what she would have been like in her mid-seventies. But it is probably a fruitless exercise. I sometimes play this game with well known people who died before their time. At this time of year, my favourite is John Lennon, who was shot dead on December 8th, 1980. I find it very difficult to think of him as someone who would have been 73, yet look at Yoko, who is still going strong and in her way is still very cutting edge.

To be honest though, I prefer to remember the dead as I last saw them in their prime.

4 comments:

  1. Blogging solo for more than a year is a rarity, according to research! I've been blogging solo for a year and a half, but I have lots of ideas coming in from gardeners, so that keeps things going. Also, I'm starting a monthly column with a guest writer, so I suppose I'm very typical. Most bloggers bring in "blog companions" at the year mark. Maybe you can do likewise? Regardless, I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla, interesting thoughts. Yeah, I've considered some of what you suggest and they are good ideas. I think for me though it isn't so much a lack of ideas, but lack of time, and at times, decreased motivation (or laziness!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have struggled with whether I will continue blogging. At the moment I am, but I do think there will come a time when I run out of things to say about perfume, or enough things to say to justify maintaining a blog. Regularly blogging only once a month doesn't really feel like it would be worth it to me, for some reason. I'm glad you're keeping going, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, it may be that these things just run their course, and I am a fairly strong believer in a place and time. Hopefully we will both continue for a while yet!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails