Friday 7 October 2011

Ungaro III

Following on from my recent post on Ungaro I and II, I have also been sampling Ungaro III. Released in 1993, in short succession after I and II, Ungaro III has the distinction of being the only one of the triumvirate that is still in production and relatively easy to find.

Somewhat ironically, the only one still in production also happens to be, in my view, the least original of the three, and the one that seems most modern and 'in line' with other successful male perfume formulas of the 1990's. The notes include lavender, clary sage, rosewood, coriander, geranium, jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, patchouli, cedar, musk and moss. To be honest, these notes make Ungaro III appear a lot more complicated than it really is. On my skin this wears mostly as a slightly metallic, citrus scent for the duration. Mind you, it isn't a bad fragrance, but a case of been-there-done-that and I'm-sure-I've-smelled-this-before. If I were to compare it to a perfume, it reminds me a bit of Chanel's Egoiste Platinum. It's mostly about citrus, a hint of rose and cedar. 

I feel bad in a way being so neutral about Ungaro III. It is by no means a poor perfume, but it doesn't add anything new to my experience of perfume and is simply a decent, fairly predictable masculine almost-fougere. It certain smells a lot better than some of the dross out there at present, but I wouldn't go searching for a bottle. Now, if they would only bring back I and II....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails