Tuesday 25 January 2011

Agent Provocateur - Agent Provocateur

I'm often surprised by how little I read about the original Agent Provocateur released in 2000. It is a wonderful, slightly dirty, rose fragrance, with saffron to start, and ends up smelling like a modern rose-chypre in some way.

Reading the reviews, this perfume seems to really divide opinion. Those that don't like it seem to be turned off by the perceived 'dirty' note, which some people have described as dirty sex, unwashed vagina and two-day-old knickers. Woah. In truth, unless I'm missing something obvious, Agent Provocateur does not smell anything as sexual as the above, in my opinion at least. Yes, it does have a slightly kinky, dirty element, but these descriptions verge on the ridiculous.

The notes from Basenotes include saffron, coriander, Moroccan rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, magnolia, white gardenia, amber, musk and vetiver. There are some serious florals in the heart, but on my skin I detect mainly the rose, and a wonderful, spicy rose it is too, no doubt amplified by the saffron and coriander. I don't find the florals overwhelming at all. Agent Provocateur manages to be simultaneously fresh and dark, clean and dirty, all at the same time, which is quite a feat.

Agent Provocateur made their name, if I'm not mistaken, by selling sexy women's underwear, so perhaps it is tempting to take the obvious step and assume the perfume will evoke sex. In a way it does. This is a sexy fragrance, but entirely unisex in my opinion, and while it does bring to mind the boudouir, I don't think it is as overtly smutty-sexual as some reviewers make it out to be.

If you enjoy rose fragrances, particularly slightly darker ones, for example Paestum Rose, Rose Poivre, Le Labo Rose 31, etc, I think you might like this one too, at a much lower price, I might add.

8 comments:

  1. One of my favorites - I wear this often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Frida! Glad you like and wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently tried this and don't get skank, but do smell mostly spicy rose. As a newbie, it's nice to see I'm not the only one with this perception. I quite like this scent, but am holding off on a purchase to see if there are other roses I love more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen thanks for the comment. Glad you liked it. Yes, there are some great rose fragrances out there, so I would sample quite a few more first. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first tried this, I didn't get anything remotely skanky out of it at all. I found it right proper. Having spent a lot more time with it, I do think it has a dark, "dirty" side -- but nothing approaching used knickers! In any case, I love it, especially in fall it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love AP and can only hope my dirty knickers smell like this! Like you, I don't find it necessarily sexual, but I do find it odd and dark-ish. However, it's also great for work and I wear it often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elisa thanks for the comments. Like you I find it slightly dirty, but definitely not as sexual as some people make out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josephine I also think it is very wearable and versatile.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails