Wednesday 11 September 2013

Perfume musings, and thoughts on Caron

I know I tend to go on a bit about new perfume ranges that come to my town, but considering that Tunbridge Wells only has a population of about 50,000 (albeit a fairly affluent one at that) I think it punches above its weight on the sheer diversity and range of perfumes on offer.

My local Fenwick department store has now got the Van Cleef and Arpels Collection Extraordinaire back in stock, including the two most recent additions, Rose Velours and Oud something or other. Bottega Veneta Pour Homme has just come in (more about that one another day perhaps) and there is now a small range of Caron perfumes, including Parfum Sacre. 

Speaking of Caron, the new bottles have been modernised a lot (I quite liked the older ones to be honest) and I gauge from various reviewers that the juice in many cases has changed drastically too. That may be the case, but I haven't tried enough Carons side by side to have an opinion one way or another. I smelt Parfum Sacre on paper and it possibly did smell different to the sample I had from about four years ago, but a scent strip is hardly the ideal way to form an opinion or make a comparison. I actually thought it smelt very good by the way.

I'd be interested to find out if you live in a town or city that has a particularly good selection of perfumes. Also, what is your view of the recent Caron perfumes? Any marked change, otherf than the bottles and packaging?

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear what people have to say about the new Carons. Around here, close to NYC, they are still without the new ones, though i asked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Blacknall, your first message seemed to work fine as far as I can tell. I feel the same - reformulations and repackaging can cause some people to really kick off. I can understand the need for Caron to stay with the times.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and it's Blacknall here, but the comment section does not seem to be registering me. Probably my own incompetence...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the new Caron Pour un Homme superior to the "vintage" because the musk is better balanced, and the lavender isn't as perfumey. I've owned and used up vintage Yatagan, which was ok but nothing spectacular (lacked tension), and have yet to try the newer 4 oz bottle with the silver cap. Looking forward to owning Yatagan again soon though. Third Man is impossible to find in reliable vintages so I'm happy with my current formula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan, thanks for commenting. I need to revisit the Caron masculines. I had a sample of Third Man that I used up years ago. It was one of the first 'niche' perfumes I tried and I loved it. Your comment makes we want to try it again!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails